Euroforest is the UK’s largest independent timber harvesting & marketing company. We harvest and market in excess of 2.7million m³ of sustainable timber per annum. We offer a unique level of service, capability, and professionalism to abroad spectrum of clients, with our main aim to ensure the highest level of service and financial return to the forest owner, adhering to certified ISO standards.
We have vacancies for Mid-Year Placement Students, starting in Summer 2024. Our placement positions are based across Scotland, England and Wales with potential for some travel between regions, so flexibility on location is required.
Ideally you will be studying towards a forestry qualification and have a desire to manage forestry sites on graduation.
Take a look at this video to get a better idea of where we work and what we do:
As a student placement, this will be a tremendously rewarding role working alongside experienced Harvesting Managers. You will be provided with support and mentoring throughout your placement and will operate to the required standard so our industry. A priority of the company is to protect the people and wildlife around us, much of which is in extremely vulnerable locations for all sorts of reasons. You will have the comfort of knowing that you are working in an industry that produces the most carbon friendly building product there is, and it’s renewable - as once a forest is felled, it is replanted and the whole cycle starts again.
You will be working alongside colleagues who have autonomy to run an area on a day-to-day basis as if it was their own business. As a result, we encourage everyone to build professional relationships within the company, with the landowners you are working with, and the haulage and harvesting contractors who make things work every day.
As part of your placement, you will learn how important it is to have a good business head to make sure clients are offered the very best service, including being able to explain different options and the financial implications of them all – which includes agreeing on prices with customers.
You will be arranging with hauliers and harvesting contractors to plan how to best tackle each site to protect both the site and our people working on it, this includes planning timescales for supply from each and every site. Luckily you will always have a team around you who will help and guide you during your placement.
· Harvesting machines that are programmed to cut the best from every tree.
· Forwarders that know precisely where every felled tree is lying.
· Use of LOGR system to oversee all timber transportation.
· Mapping software on your laptop, your phone and on the screen of the harvesting machines enabling you to make your own maps for every site.
This is a paid fixed-term position starting in Summer 2024 for one year. You will be offered a company vehicle and fuel card for business and private use, along with all the things you need to assist the managers who run our business for us such as a laptop, mobile phone and of course PPE.
Whilst most of the training will be out on site, some days will be spent in the office training, and we allow staff to work both in the office and from home for those days when there isn’t time to get back to the office from site.
· Students who are studying towards a degree, HND or equivalent qualification in Forestry, Arboriculture, Agriculture, or related discipline.
· Some knowledge of the forestry industry and forestry-related legislation is desirable, but not essential as training will be provided.
· Excellent communication skills and ability to converse with a range of people.
· Ability to follow detailed procedures accurately.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel and Outlook.
· A full UK driving licence - condition of offer.
· Competitive Salary
· 28 days holiday (inc Bank Holidays)
· Company Holidays (3 days at Christmas)
· Life Assurance
· Company vehicle & fuel card
· Staff Referral Scheme
· Sponsorship Scheme
· Discount Voucher Scheme
· Training and development platform
If you’d like to apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com,quoting reference EF/MYPS24.
For more information, please look at our website and social media pages below:
The closing date for applications is 30th November 2023.
Interviews will take place week commencing 4th December 2023.
The position will be starting from Summer 2024.
Euroforest is an Equal Opportunities Employer. The company is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, gender, or sexual orientation.